A great steak is an art that’s easy to perfect. Use these tips to help you get the best results every time and remember practice makes perfect!
- Only buy steaks of even thickness, avoid ‘wedge shaped’
- Beef steaks should be at least 21mm thick
- Lamb cuts should be at least 15mm thick
- Pat dry with kitchen paper before cooking
- Take the steaks out of the fridge and bring to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking
- If using a pan, it should be heavy-based
- Season the steaks lightly with salt and pepper
- Oil the steak not the barbecue.
THE THREE BASIC ESSENTIALS
- Heat the pan, barbecue or grill to moderately hot before you add the steaks.This ensures maximum flavour and tenderness. The steak should sizzle as it makes contact with the heat. Don't crowd the barbecue as this reduces the heat and the meat will then release juices and begin to stew.
- Turn the steaks once only.The more you flip the steak, the tougher it gets. Let the steak cook on one side until moisture appears on top, then turn it.
- Learn to test when your steaks are done. Knowing when your steak is ready to be removed from the heat is the key to a perfectly cooked steak. Use either the back of your tongs or fingertip (clean hands please) and press the centre of the steak. Rare is soft when pressed, medium is springy and well done is very firm.
Always rest the steaks after they come off the heat. This keeps the steaks juicy and tender. Just loosely cover with foil for 2 to 4 minutes before serving.
A LITTLE BIT MORE DETAIL
Here are a few extra tips for getting the degree of doneness right every time:
- RARE: Cook only for a few minutes per side (depending on thickness). Internal temperature approximately 55-60ºC
- MEDIUM RARE: Cook each side until moisture is visible on top surface. Internal temperature approximately 60-65ºC
- MEDIUM: Cook each side until moisture is pooling on top surface. Internal temperature approximately 65-70ºC
- MEDIUM-WELL DONE: Cook each side until moisture is pooling on top surface. Reduce heat slightly and continue to cook until steak feels ‘firm’ with the back of the tongs. Internal temperature approximately 70ºC
- WELL DONE: Cook on one side until moisture is pooling on top surface. Turn and cook on the second side until moisture is pooling on top. Reduce heat slightly and continue to cook until steak feels ‘very firm’ with the back of the tongs